A migraine is widely prevalent in the US and worldwide. Statistics show that more than 37 million Americans suffer from migraines. In fact, about 5 million people experience at least one migraine attack per month, while 11 million individuals report moderate to severe disability caused by migraines. This is more than a headache! Your migraine affects the overall quality of life. Migraine sufferers are constantly in the search for different ways to alleviate the pain, and we bring you an effective solution – grape juice. Keep reading to find out what makes grape juice so beneficial!
Even though red wine triggers migraines in some people, grape juice is considered as an effective way to relieve the pain. The juice takes a multifaceted approach toward pain relief; it contains different nutrients or compounds that are beneficial for severe headaches. One of these nutrients is vitamin C.
Oxidative stress has been proposed as a relevant event in the pathogenesis of headaches. This is important because vitamin C acts as an antioxidant and, thereby, neutralizes free radicals and prevents oxidative stress or minimizes oxidative damage. Evidence shows that vitamin C may modulate the effects of neurogenic inflammation and ROS (reactive oxygen species) in a migraine.
Additionally, research from the journal Pain found that deficiency in vitamin C is strongly linked to back and neck pain as well as the self-described diagnosis of rheumatism or arthritis. Since neck pain is very common in migraine patients, this discovery only adds to the growing body of evidence suggesting that vitamin C is important for treatment of headaches.
Grape juice is a rich source of vitamin B2 or riboflavin, one of the most well-known natural remedies for pain associated with a migraine. A team of scientists from Germany discovered that riboflavin has a major potential to prevent migraines and participants experienced reduced headache frequency from 4 days a month to 2 days a month. At the same time, the use of medications for migraines decreased as well. The best thing is that riboflavin can prevent and treat migraines without inducing side effects.
Riboflavin is crucial for growth and production of red blood cells, but it also plays a role in how our body gets energy from proteins, fats, and carbs. Migraine sufferers tend to be deficient in this vitamin. If you have wondered how to improve your memory, then the grape juice is your answer in this case too. Riboflavin plays a role in memory too. How? That’s because folate and pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) is transformed by riboflavin into the neurotransmitter that is crucial for memory and thinking.
Homemade grape juice to fight a migraine
Riboflavin found in grapes and grape juice has a favorable effect on liver functions, which contribute to a migraine. For instance, classic migraines which are not linked to hormonal fluctuations or sinus congestion, are usually associated with abnormal functioning of the liver. At the same time, high level of vitamin C in grape juice is beneficial for balancing iron levels if migraines are related to irregular estrogen levels.
Of course, it is easy to go to a store and buy grape juice. Before you do that, keep in mind that store-bought juices tend to be sugar-laden, which is never a good thing. Be wise and read the label before you put the juice into the cart. Make sure the product is natural and doesn’t contain too much-added sugar.
If you prefer homemade juices, then you can make a grape juice for migraine relief as well. Here’s how:
• For 1l (33oz) of grape juice, you will need about 7-8 lbs of fresh grapes
• Remove the grapes from their stems
• Wash the grapes
• Puree the grapes using a blender, but you can also achieve the same effect with potato masher
• Cook the grapes in a pot over medium heat for 10 minutes. Use potato masher to break up grapes that start to clump up
• Once grapes are cooked, strain the pot into a drinking glass, bottle, or some other container
• Place the juice into the fridge and that’s it
Benefits of grapes
As shown above, grapes are incredibly beneficial for people who are suffering from migraines. But, they have many other benefits that show you should consume them more often. Below, you can see some of the most important health benefits of grapes:
• Type 2 diabetes management – grapes are classified as low glycemic index food which is why they can provide better blood sugar balance. They also regulate insulin and increase insulin sensitivity
• Antioxidants – grapes are abundant in antioxidants that destroy free radicals and prevent oxidative stress. Not only this is beneficial for our health, but it does wonders for your skin too
• Brain health – grapes are one of the best foods for the brain due to their ability to prevent neurodegenerative process both by inhibition of neuroinflammation and by decreasing oxidative stress
• Antimicrobial effects – grape juice, skin, and seeds have a strong inhibitory effect on the growth of some bacteria
• Cardiovascular health – intake of grape and grape juice has a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system by enhancing endothelial function, decreasing LDL oxidation, improving vascular function, modulating inflammatory processes
A migraine is extremely frustrating, and it seriously affects a person’s quality of life. If you’re looking for different ways to prevent or relieve pain, you should try with grape juice. Grapes are highly beneficial for your health, and the juice uses a multifaceted approach to help you deal with a migraine.
Kathy Mitchell is a writer and avid researcher on the subject of Beauty, nutrition, and general wellness. She likes to go out with her friends, travel, swim and practice yoga. In her free time, you can find Kathy curled up reading her favorite novel, or writing in her journal. To know more about her follow her on Google+, Facebook, and Twitter.