Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Originally posted on our homeschool blog, Benoit Academy.
Disclosure: I received a subscription to Standard Deviants Accelerate from Educents in exchange for an honest review.
Standard Deviants Accelerate (“SDA”) is an affordable and easy-to-use online curriculum supplement for homeschooling, including video lesson, review activities, quizzes, writing assignments, and tests. It adapts to your child’s needs by re-teaching the topics with low scores. This online homeschooling program will teach your child everything they need to know about a particular subject. ~SDA Website
Online Learning for Middle and High School Core Subjects
The Standard Deviants have become experts at their craft of teaching students core curriculum subjects condensed into a few hours of instructional videos that are engaging, entertaining, and hilarious. The clever name is a play on words based on the mathematical term “standard deviance” or “standard deviation,” meaning the variation from the average.
How We Use SDA
Since J13 is doing high school level work, I decided to get as much out of SDA as possible for her. I checked out each class to see what to expect so I could decide which classes were the best fit for her. I love that you are able to preview each class from the Teacher Dashboard.
Adding subjects and classes on the Teacher Dashboard is easy. I do recommend, however, that you name the class as the same name of the subject if you have more than 1 subject. I noticed that when you go into the Grading section, instead of the subjects being listed, it’s the class name. I named each of my classes under each subject as J13‘s name so it’s a bit hard to figure out which subject I am clicking on until I click each one. Takes more time than necessary. I have tried to change the name of each class but it doesn’t seem to want to work…either that or I am just doing something wrong. There is a feedback section so I may use that to find out how to fix it. So far, this is the only problem I have come across.
- Grade Reports
- Red Flag Alerts
- Editable Scoring Rubrics
- Progress Indicators
- Video lessons
- Automatic grading of quizzes and tests
- A note taking feature
- A print function
- The ability to message a parent for help on a specific lesson
- AP English Language & Composition
- AP US History
- AP Biology
How Assignments Work
- Video breaks down content and provides in-depth instruction
- Multiple-choice Quizzes following each video re-teach by replaying clips corresponding to questions that have been answered incorrectly
- Multiple-choice Tests at the end of each chapter and at the end of the subject continue to check knowledge and are customized according to student’s prior quiz performance
- Drag and Drop Diagrams test knowledge using a visual component
- Red flag alerts report low scores to the parent every step of the way
So far, we are loving Standard Deviants Accelerate. We plan to use it for the rest of our school year!
- Core Curriculum Subjects are $99/year or $24.95/month (per subject/1 student)
- AP Subjects are $14.95/month (per subject/1 student)