May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month. I was shocked to find out that more people have been diagnosed with skin cancer than all other cancer combined! More than 3.5 million people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year. Did you have any idea?! Living in Florida, The Sunshine State, and having fair skin my entire life basically has made me #SkinSmart. I’ve included some great tips for becoming #SkinSmart yourself.
Throughout the month of May, Coolibar will be donating $1 for every order on Coolibar.com, up to $25,000, to the American Cancer Society to join in the fight against cancer.
- Teach kids that being safe in the sun is as important as wearing a bike helmet! Limiting sun exposure now helps prevent skin cancer in the future.
- Make sure to wear lightweight clothing that is tightly woven (t-shirts do NOT block UV rays!), and contains a UV protection factor of 50.
- Keep sunscreen and a hat in your gym bag, stroller or diaper bag so it’s always accessible when needed.
- Apply sunscreen 15-30 minutes BEFORE going out in the sun, and remember to reapply to exposed areas every two hours, and more often after swimming or sweating.
- Take regular breaks from the sun especially between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., when UV rays are strongest, and make sure to drink lots of water. Set your phone’s alarm for reminders.
- Wearing a wide-brim hat provides extra coverage to the neck and shoulders. Every inch of hat brim can lower your lifetime risk of skin cancer by 10%.
- Wear a swim shirt specifically designed for water activities while at the pool or beach. These provide maximum sun protection, cover a large amount of exposed skin, and dry quickly so they are great for trips.
- Wear sunglasses. In addition to protecting eyes from UV exposure, another cancer risk, the right sunglasses offer impact protection, and reduce reflection if you are participating in any rigorous activities.
The Coolibar Skirted Swim Shorts are a great way for me to feel confident and stay #SkinSmart at the same time while out at the beach or public pool:
- Chlorine- and saltwater-resistant aqua SUNTECT® fabric
- Shape-preserving four-way stretch
- Contoured athletic fit
- Skirt is adjustable on one side
- Ruche at front princess seams
- Internal mesh pocket at waist
- Gripper elastic in back prevents slipping
- Inseam 7 1/2″
- Easy care: machine wash, line dry
- Rated UPF 50+
For more great resources on staying #SkinSmart, visit The American Cancer Society.