Florida Homeschool Info
- FLDOE (Florida Dept. of Education) – Home Education
- Homeschooling in Florida – Florida Laws Regulating Home Education
- HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association) – State Law Info
- FPEA (FL Parent-Educators Association) – exists solely to serve homeschooling families in Florida. It executes that mission through support for the legal right to homeschool, local school board education and interaction, support group networking, a state convention, local conferences and events, informative communications, and individual encouragement, all in accordance with Judeo-Christian principles.
- Home Education contacts by school district
An umbrella or cover school provides an alternative way for parents to fulfill governmental educational guidelines and requirements. You do not have to submit a Notice of Intent to the Superintendent, undergo an annual evaluation nor comply with any other part of the home education statutes. They vary greatly in what they offer and cost. Some offer group classes, a defined curriculum, sports, field trips, standardized testing, and more. Others exist only to collect the minimal legal requirements, allowing parents to choose their curriculum and methods of teaching, as well as freedom from an annual evaluation or testing requirements. Additionally, some umbrella schools follow a specific faith, while others are secular.
The responsibilities of umbrella schools vary from state to state. Many states require schools to collect immunization and attendance records, and similar records as required for any publicly run school. Often umbrella schools operate under the same legal guidelines as independent schools. Some states have course and daily time requirements. In others, students are bound to the normal standard school year and records must be kept to prove that students fulfill the required amount of time.
- Hillcrest Academy Free School – a private school designed for home educated students grades K-12. They are listed at the Florida Department of Education website in the Directory of Private Schools, as required of all private schools in Florida, under Santa Rosa County. Even though they are located in Santa Rosa County, they provide an “umbrella” to members in all counties within the state of Florida FREE of charge. (We are signed up under them!)
- For a complete list of umbrella schools head to a2zhomeschooling!