Our kid baker has a new kitchen gadget for baking – the SveBake Cookie Press! We have never used a cookie press before so it was a fun day in the kitchen trying to figure it out. We needed a cookie recipe to use with it so we decided on a butter cookie one. Super easy and super yummy!
Kid Baker received a new mixer for Christmas. Seriously, what 8 year old asks for a mixer?! It wasn’t the fancy one that she wanted but mama don’t have that kind of money and this is a neat starter one. It can also come apart to be used as a hand mixer. Less gadgets for our itty bitty kitchen.
This butter cookie recipe was easy enough for kid baker to do herself. I just stood by as a ‘supervisor’ while she did her thing. The cookie press part was a bit too hard for her little hand so I did most of that work. This cookie press is pretty spiffy and makes gorgeous, professional looking cookies in a click. (Seriously, one squeeze on the handle makes a clicking sound and that’s for one cookie!)
Kid Baker decided after one batch of cookie press cookies were made that she wanted to color some of the dough. She got out the food coloring and decided on purple since that is the teen’s favorite color. She had a great time mixing up the dough and getting purple hands. She also made a small batch of regular shaped red (more like dark pink) cookies because that is her brother’s favorite color. She bakes with love.
Cookie Press Butter Cookies
- 2 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 2/3 C granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 C butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sugar, butter, salt, egg, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed about 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Make sure to scrape bowl often.
- Add flour then beat on low speed for about 2-3 minutes until well mixed. Make sure to scrape bowl often.
- Optional – add coloring to dough until well mixed.
- Add the dough into the cookie press. Press out cookies about 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly brown.
These butter cookies taste like the ones you get during the holidays in the tin containers! They would be perfect for the holidays and you could even bake some to give as gifts.